Sunday, December 16, 2007

You Deserve this Blog

A few months ago, I got a part on a tv show, and a friend congratulated me by saying "You deserve it!"
This probably says more about me than him however, I thought, "Was there some doubt that I deserved it?"
In my head, I got it, therefore I must have deserved it. Did someone else deserve it more? Apparently not, cuz they didn't get it.

"Deserve" is often confused with Karma, mostly because of the misuse of the word, karma. Karma applies to future existences as a result of current or previous lives. If the sum of your life is good, you may return as a tree or an anchorman. Bad people: sheep and reality tv contestants. (I don't really know the karmic evolutionary scale.) More commonly people attribute karma when good things happen to people they like, and when tragedy strike those they dislike. Of course, when some turd spends 8 years on a hit TV series, nobody mentions 'Karma"

Maybe the term, "deserve" requires more definition. You deserve it if: You are qualified in all practical ways- physically, mentally, financially, etc. If you and it are available. If you and it have some viable current relationship. The sum of your qualifications exceed those of someone else. I may be the best actor in the world (I am), best looking (clearly true), box office gold (billions in imaginary tickets sold), still If a show needs an "employee" to say "1st door on the right." The producer's best friend's daughter might be deserving enough. In essence, "deserving enough" is enough.

It's easy to say someone deserves something after they already have it. Example: You deserve internet access. Just as it's easy to proclaim "I deserve a new BMW." When it would be a huge stretch to pay for it. That's when "I deserve" is more affirmation than truth. Affirmations serve a purpose, though they some times lead to premature action. Those folks often go on to buy that car, and later realize they deserve a yard sale, and then a part time job, and maybe a roommate.

I told a friend, and now you, about my goal of doing stand-up on the Late Late Show by the end of 2007. She responded that I "deserve that". Sadly, Craig Ferguson is not within her circle of influence. The only people that can proclaim I deserve The Late Late Show, are the people who book comics on The Late Late Show. Saying it isn't enough- They have to book me on the show. The phone hasn't rang so, for now I deserve to work harder. I deserve the open mic at the Sportsmen's Lodge. The goal is reset to 2008.

If I may rewrite Yoda- There is no "deserve" Either you get, or you don't get.

Happy 2008! May you Get.

No comments:

Post a Comment